embrace the mystery.

Friday, February 04, 2005

ugh. some people.

just a little...


... earlier today, while at my friendly neighborhood loblaws, there was this slightly annoying couple behind me, who kept running back and forth, in and out of line, budding in front of people, assuming they would keep their places while out gathering their things. by the time they had found themselves behind me, it had probably been the sixth time that they had come back from "forgetting something". suddenly the woman's husband realizes he forgot to grab some apples, and wonders if it was worth it to run back to the produce area and grab some. we were only a metre or so away from the cashier's counter. the woman, then remembers she forgot to get milk. behind me i could hear them whispering, debating on whether it would be a good idea for both them to leave and then come back when they were already so close to the cashier's counter - again. her head peeked over my side rather snobbishly, followed by the following statement whispered to her husband in a very snide tone:

"it's okay honey. she doesn't look like she speaks any english."

if she had peeked around my shoulder again, she would have seen my eyes bulge out in complete shock and disrespect. but instead of turning around and proving them wrong by yelling out various outbursts of rather "impolite english slang", i bit my tongue and kept to myself ... until they budded RIGHT in front of me once returning from their quest for apples and milk. i looked back, and saw the rest of the line just glaring at them in disgust. even the cashier pointed out to them that i was next in line. the couple just exchanged looks (as if they didn't know) and finally stepped aside.

... which was when i turned back, and unexpectedly opened my mouth:

"my english is just fine, thanks."

the lady's jaw dropped, realizing her mistake.

"oh. i didn't know."

... to which i happily replied before grabbing my bags,

"that's okay... it doesn't look like you have any manners."

1 Comments:

Blogger Cristina said...

oh man. the audacity.
i'm so glad you said something to that woman.
props to you ma sista. haha.
seriously. that woman needed some mouth-wash.
*shakes head*. oi.

9:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home